Apollo Education Group Inc (APOL) Buys Open Colleges

Apollo Global, Inc., the wholly-owned subsidiary of Apollo Education Group Inc (NASDAQ:APOL) has agreed to acquire 70% of the outstanding stock of Open Colleges Australia Pty Ltd, known as Open Colleges. Open Colleges is one of Australia’s oldest and largest providers of distance learning and the acquisition is in line with Apollo Education Group Inc (NASDAQ:APOL)’s long term strategy of global expansion. The acquisition is expected to be completed by the second quarter of 2014.

Apollo Education Group Inc (NASDAQ:APOL)

According to the agreement, Apollo Education Group Inc (NASDAQ:APOL) will purchase 70% of the outstanding stock of Open Colleges in cash for about $98.5 million, along with a contingent payment of about $47 million which will be based on 2014 operating results. The agreement allows Apollo Global to purchase the rest of the 30% stock in the future.

Though Apollo Education Group Inc (NASDAQ:APOL) has a dominant market position and focuses on offering relevant career oriented educational programs, the company had been witnessing weak enrollment in the U.S., which resulted in a decline in revenue. The acquisition will thus allow Apollo Global to access the growing education market in Australia. The acquisition will allow the company to focus its resources in the international education market, where better results are expected.

Apollo Education Group Inc (NASDAQ:APOL) carries a Zacks Rank #3 (Hold). Better-placed stocks in the education sector include ITT Educational Services, Inc. (NYSE:ESI), New Oriental Education & Tech Grp (ADR) (NYSE:EDU) and Xueda Education Group (ADR) (NYSE:XUE). Both ITT Educational Services and New Oriental Education & Technology Group carry a Zacks Rank #1 (Strong Buy), whereas Xueda Education Group carries a Zacks Rank #2 (Buy).

Disclaimer: This article is written by Zacks Equity Research and originally published at Zacks.com.

APOLLO GROUP (APOL): Free Stock Analysis Report

NEW ORIENTAL ED (EDU): Free Stock Analysis Report

ITT EDUCATIONAL (ESI): Free Stock Analysis Report

XUEDA EDUC-ADR (XUE): Free Stock Analysis Report


Comments

comments



© 2009 - 2013 Next iPhone News - Privacy Policy - Write for Us
X

Thanks! An email with instructions is sent to !

Your email already exists in our database. Click here to go to your subscriptions

Insider Monkey returned 47.6% in its first year! Wondering How?

Download a complete edition of our newsletter for free!